Thursday, February 25, 2010

February 25, 2010


Hey fam,


How´s everyone doing? So it turns out my companion is not from Puerto Rico after all. He´s from Nicaragua. Pretty cool, I don´t think I had ever met anyone from Nicaragua before him.  The other day a Chilean Elder told me I speak with a chilean accent but but with the Argentine "sh" (sho me shamo). Oh and by the way my new companion isn´t from Puerto Rico. Turns out he´s from Nicaragua, cool huh.

Ok well I´ll retell the story of my week, trying to include spiritual and funny moments. Last Wednesday was transfer day, so I waited in the bus terminal a good chunk of the day, probably like 7 or 8 hours. In the wait I talked to a family that had listened to the missionaries and been to church before. The husband had a big bandage wrapped around his foot and I asked him why and he said he got shot there. My new comp and I put his stuff in our house and then we went out to a few appointments we had and we ended up finding and teaching a guy who had a big bandage wrapped around his waist because he got shot in the back. And yes this is a different guy than the guy we´re teaching that got shot 9 times in the stomach. Haha so I don´t know maybe getting shot is an incentive for people to turn to God and that´s why we keep finding people like that.

There´s a store in our area that sells furniture and the name of the store is Moroni, so we went and tried to give a Book of Mormon to the owner. But he said missionaries already gave him one like 15 years ago and he "doesn´t talk about God". Oh well, haha it was worth a try.

Oh another thing that happened this week was the gas to our house got cut off so we went about 5 days eating sandwiches and cereal, haha. On Sunday we were sick of sandwiches so we grabbed some sticks and stuff that we found on the side of the road and we cooked over a fire in our backyard.

(Editor's note: Ok, that looks like a major pain in the neck and quite unsanitary.  EESH!)

Yesterday our bishop took us on a drive through the city in our area. He doesn´t want us to work in the poor part of our area so he showed us around in his car all of the wealthier parts and the schools and stuff telling us that we need to work there. So I guess we probably will. Members don´t ever come teach with us, sometimes because they think it´s too dangerous where our investigators live. So maybe if we can find some richer investigators our members will help us more. We´ll see. We´ve been trying to find people in the nicer areas, but no one has let us in their house yet, and we haven´t received any references form the members. That´s ok though, I like a challenge, especially for my last area.

Oh yeah also yesterday morning we helped a member build his house a little bit, which was pretty fun. Construction in south america is WAY different than in the States.

Well I love you family, I´ll talk to you next week!

Love,

Elder Boice
 
Countdown:  Cooper comes home in only 34 DAYS!  Woohoo!

No comments: