Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving 2009!




Hi again family,


You probably weren´t expecting me to write a day early, but today is the last P-day of the transfer! Every single transfer is better and goes by faster, and now another one has come to an end.

My companion and I came really early today because we had to send a bunch of information to the mission home and then they sent us the new transfer list.

And guess what? I´m leaving my area, again!, and this might be the last time, who knows. I´m going off to a city that´s called "Venado Tuerto". You can look up what that means in spanish and you´ll probably get a laugh.   (Editor's note:  it means "one-eyed deer".)   It´s another one of those "hard zones" so we´ll have to change that like we changed it in the city I´m in now. I´m excited to go though, it´s always fun to go to a new place and have a new companion. My new companion is another one from the States, his name is Elder Koch, pronounced Elder "Cook".




(Editor's note:  I looked up a picture of Venado Tuerto online and this is one of the pictures of Cooper's new city.  It looks pretty big.)
Yep, so anyway I´ll give you an update of the last week, or the last 6 days I guess:

It was a pretty good week, we were able to teach a lot and we found a TON of new people that we started teaching. A couple people were pretty interesting too. One lady that we taught seems crazy because she´s in her 60´s probably but she seemed like she was flirting with us. Turns out she´s just nice but we did have to tell her that she can´t touch our knees and arms and kiss us on the cheek anymore, haha. She actually came to stake conference this sunday, yay!

Then there was another guy that we taught who´s probably one of the weirdest guys I´ve ever met. He told us that he had seen giants and that they live under the ground and stuff, he was a pretty genuine conspiracy-theorist. So that was interesting. And then there was another lady that we taught who told us that there´s a "curandero" that lives a couple houses down from her. A curandero is basically like a witch-doctor healer guy. I don´t really know what the translation would be in english.  (Editor's note:  it translates to mean witch doctor or quack doctor.)  And I´ve never met one either, but her son thinks that he is bewitched by this curandero, so that was weird as well.

That´s another fun part of serving a mission, is you really get to know what kind of people are out there in the world, and let me tell you there are some WEIRD people in this world. ;)

Well anyway so yesterday one of the missionaries in our zone died (finished his mission and went home). So in the morning we took him to the bus terminal and we spent the day with his companion who´s waiting to get a new companion now. We had a pretty good day. Last night was one of those really frustrating lessons. We taught a great lesson to a guy we have taught before a couple of times. He´s a really nice guy and everything but he´s just one of those people who has NO common sense when it comes to religion. That just really bugs me. I don´t think we could have taught any clearer, the Spirit was obviously there. We probably could have shown him a video tape of the leader of his church admitting that he was wrong and it still wouldn´t have made a difference. I guess when it comes down to it, the scripture is completely true that says "I know my sheep, and my sheep know my voice"

Hey mom, let me know when you get the package I sent home! If it makes it that is. I sent some food (the best alfajores in the mission) and apparently you´re not supposed to do that. So if they don´t send it back to me(or eat it) it´ll be all yours. There´s a bunch of old letters and stuff too that I didn´t want to throw away, and also some Cds with pictures :)

Ok well anyway, that brings me to today and transfers. Tomorrow I´ll be travelling and waiting in a bus terminal all day to meet all the Elders in my new zone probably. I hope you all have a great day tomorrow! Thanks for always being a great family, love you all tons,

Love,

Elder Boice

No comments: