Wednesday, October 7, 2009

October 7, 2009



Dear family,


It was a great week with lots of fun. I´ll give you a day by day run down of what happened.

Last Thursday we did a lot of planning in the morning and then we spent the day handing out invitations to General Conference. We didn´t have much time because we had to travel to Rosario that night because we had mission counsel the next day. So we stayed the night in the mission home in Rosario.

Friday was mission conference. Pretty fun actually. The icing on the cake was that the zone leaders from my last area told me that a girl I taught there is getting baptized finally.

Saturday and Sunday we went to General Conference. Everyone in the city had to come to our chapel because it´s the stake center and the only chapel with a satellite. We saw about half of conference on Saturday because we went and looked for investigators and stuff, but on Sunday we saw everything. Our investigator Camilo (from the Dominican Republic) came and even brought a friend. It´s cool to see the change in him, he got a haircut, took out his earring, and came in a suit. Today we did an asado (barbeque) with all the missionaries in the zone and he showed us how to cook.

On Monday we saw a miracle!! haha So...my companion and I went to the church in the afternoon just to use the bathroom, and the patriarch was there doing geneology. We were talking to him for a couple minutes when these 2 teenage girls just randomly came in. We asked if we could help them and they asked us if we taught catequesis (catholic school's catequism). The patriarch excitedly responded “Of course! And even more!” Haha so we taught the 2 girls in the church with the patriarch. How much more perfect could it get?

We also taught the friend that Camilo brought to General Conference but he moved to a different area yesterday so the sister missionaries are gonna have to teach him.

Yesterday we found a really cool family. We saw a giant parrot sitting on a perch in front of a guy´s house, so we went and knocked on the door and started talking to the guy about his parrot and then he let us inside. We taught the whole family of 4 and they cried when we were talking about families and asked them what there family means to them. It was really good until some family friend showed up who is apparently a self-proclaimed preacher. He started preaching false doctrine about how he was a catholic priest in a former life and the Spirit left and so we just set an appointment for another day. Really good family though haha.

(Editor's note:  I periodically send Cooper words  in Spanish for him to learn and this was his reply on the one I sent this week):  Haha thanks for sending me the spanish word. I really do love learning spanish, and I think what I like most is learning all the different dialects from different places. So far my favorite is the way the Chileans speak.


I think it´s gonna really fun to talk with you after the mission because we may be teaching 2 completely different languages haha. Spanish in South America (at least in Argentina and Chile for sure) is not exactly very proper like I assume the spanish is in Spain. But that´s what makes it so much fun.

(Another editor's note:  The Church has just released a new Spanish Bible that includes some really great footnotes, indexing, glossary, etc so I asked if Cooper knew about it yet.  He had this to say): Yeah I think they announced it in the last general conference but now it´s finally here. I ordered a nice pretty one :) but I´m not really sure if I´ll use it much because my other "Santa Biblia" is nice and marked up and I have one of those memories where remember on what part of the page everything is but not where the reference is haha. I guess I might just have to learn everything over again ...

Ok well that´s pretty much everything. Love you family! Have a great week!

Love,

Elder Boice

No comments: